CAPE COD WEEKEND GETAWAY
WEEKEND GETAWAY, 50-85 MILES
We begin with a high-speed ferry from Boston to the lovely, remote tip of the Cape, Provincetown. Surface streets carry you southward towards the vast National Seashore and Wellfleet, home to arguably the best oysters in the world, and to the starting point for the Cape's wonderful rail trail. We've found plenty of food and drink stops dotting your route south to Dennis, where the rail trail ends and more surface streets pick up your route west to Hyannis and the Cape Town Flyer, a bike-friendly train that will take you back to Boston.
TYPES OF BIKING
Quiet on-road riding out of Provincetown, unavoidable busy Route 6 that connects the upper cape to Wellfleet (but has a wide shoulder) and those that carry you the last western third of the trip to Hyannis, and of course the blissfully flat and quiet rail trail section. The northern portion of the Cape is more hilly than most realize, so in hot weather and with a loaded bike, you may need a lot more water than you think.
CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE, SAMPLE ITINERARIES
This weekend getaway is your's to customize but here are a few ideas:
- Beach Bum - Take the ferry to Provincetown, hang out, bike around the lovely city, maybe a day trip to Truro and back, explore the beaches and Province Lands Bike Trail and then head back to Boston on the ferry.
- 2 day Provincetown to Hyannis - Take the ferry to Provincetown and stay in Ptown or Truro. Saturday-bike 25 miles to Eastham or Orleans and spend the night with a side visit over to the National Seashore. Sunday - bike 25 miles to Hyannis and take the train home.
- 2 day Hyannis to Provincetown - Take the train to Hyannis and simply reverse the itinerary above. The benefits of this itinerary is that you get to end with a coastal ride into Provincetown, which is a much nicer town than Hyannis.
- Long Weekend - split the 50 miles into 3 days or add some detours to the Province Lands Bike Trail, National Seashore or the Old Colony Rail Trail to Chatham for a total of 83 miles.
Ride with GPS
+ Map & Logistics
Cambridge Bicycle - $30 daily for Raleigh Classic Roadster with front basket, u-lock and helmet
Urban AdvenTours - $35+ daily for hybrid, road, mountain, tandem and kids bikes with Kryptonite lock and helmet
Pedego Electric Bikes Boston - $60 daily, $15 hourly for a commuter, electric bike
WHAT TO BRING? Reality check. Just like hiking or even car camping, less is more. Especially when you'll be lugging everything on your bike, we usually opt for the credit card style of tour (hotels, bnbs, eating out). But awesome if you can bike pack, too!
Bare essentials - sunblock, water bottle, change of clothes, swimsuit. If you have young children, make sure to figure out the napping while biking situation. Trailers are great for this and our special trick for front/rear child seats are using an Ergo and pillow.
FARES - One way fairs are $59 (adult), $39 (3-12 years), $23 (babies - don't shoot the messenger), $6 (bikes)
DATES - May 16 - Oct 16
FRIDAY - leaves World Trade Center at 8:30am, 1pm, 5:30pm
SUNDAY - leaves Provincetown at 10:30am, 3pm, 7:30pm
FARE - One way fairs are $58 (adult), $39 (3-12 years), $23 (babies - don't shoot the messenger), $6 (bikes)
DATES - May 16 - Oct 10
FRIDAY - leaves Long Wharf at 9am, 2pm, 6:30pm
SUNDAY - leaves Provincetown at 11am, 4pm, 8:30pm
CapeFLYER-bikes ride FREE!
FARE - $22 one way
DATES - Memorial Day to Labor Day
FRIDAY - leaves South Station at 5:50pm
SUNDAY - leaves Hyannis at 6:40pm
We curated these accommodations because they are conveniently located off the bike route. If you prefer maps like us, please check out the google map linked above to see their locations.
YURTS & CAMPING
- Nickerson State Park, 3488 Brewster St, Brewster, 508-896-3491
- Shawme-Crowell State Forest, 42 Main St. (Rt. 130) Sandwich, (508)888-0351
- Truro Hostel-$47+, 111 S Pamet Rd, Truro, 508-349-3889
- Eastham Hostel-$47+, 75 Goody Hallet Dr, Eastham, 508-255-2785
- Blue Dolphin Inn-$70+, 5950 US-6, Eastham, 508-255-1159
- Inn at the Moors-$175+, 59 Province Lands Rd, Provincetown, 508-487-1342
- Ocean Edge-$175+, 2907 Main St, Brewster, 508-896-9000
- Snug Cottage-$125+, 178 Bradford St, Provincetown, 508-487-1616
- Even'tide Motel & Cottages-$99+, 650 US-6, Wellfleet, 508-349-3410
- Wellfleet Motel & Lodge-$99+, 170 US-6, South Wellfleet, 508-349-3535
- Olde Tavern Motel & Inn-$99+, 151 MA-6A, Orleans, 508-255-1565
- Inn of Treasured Memories-$185+, 473 Main St, Harwich, 508-430-9919
- Mooncussers Tavern-$115+, 86 Sisson Rd, Harwich Port, 508-430-1230
- Chatham Bars Inn-$295+, 297 Shore Rd, Chatham, 508-945-0096
- Ocean Edge-$225+, 90 Bradford Street, Provincetown, 508-487-0386
- Four Points by Sheraton-$205+, 3800 State Hwy, Eastham, 508-255-5000
- The Villages at Ocean Edge-$215+, 1 Villages Dr, Brewster, 508-896-9000
- Hatch House-309 Bound Brook Way, Wellfleet, 508-349-3145
Beaches and marsh land surround a small town at the very end of the cape, world famous for its food, art, and gay scene. You should definitely consider the early ferry so you can bike the Province Land bike trails!
Best known for its namesake oysters, Wellfleet is perhaps the quintessential cape town, full of sea food, beaches, and modern ’50s homes.
C. CAPE COD RAIL TRAIL
22 miles of flat, quiet, off-street trail riding between Wellfleet and Dennis.
D. CAPE COD NATIONAL SEASHORE
This protected park encompasses the entire shoreline from the "elbow" of the cape at Chatham up and around Provincetown, eventually protecting over 43,000 square miles of beach.
+ Eats & Drinks
- WIRED PUPPY, 379 Commercial St, Provincetown, 508-487-0017
Pour over coffee, 7 days 6:30am-5:30pm
- HOT CHOCOLATE SPARROW, 5 Old Colony Way, Orleans, 508-240-2230
Chocolate served hot and cold. Su-Th 6:30am-8:30pm / F-Sa 6:30am-10pm
- SNOWY OWL COFFEE ROASTERS, 2624 Main Street, Brewster, 415-640-1912
Pourover coffee with free range chickens! M-F 6:30am-3pm (closed Wed), Sa-Su 7:30am-4pm
WINE & COCKTAILS
- TRURO VINEYARDS + SOUTH HOLLOW SPIRITS, 11 Shore Rd, North Truro, 508-487-6200
Small, new brewery! F 2-6pm / Sa 12-6pm
- SALTY MARKET, 2 Highland Rd, Truro, 508-487-0711
Groceries, gourmet deli and curated beer & wine. M-Sa 7am-9pm / Su 8am-9pm
- MAIN STREET WINE & GOURMET, 42 Main St, Orleans, 508-255-1112
Curated selection of wine and beer. M-Sa 10am-6pm / Su 12-5pm
- ORLEANS WHOLE FOOD STORE, 46 Main St, Orleans, 508-255-6540
Hippy groceries and deli. M-Sa 8:30am-6pm / Su 9am-6pm
- PLEASANT LAKE GENERAL STORE, 403 Pleasant Lake Ave, Harwich
Shephard's pie, "take and bake" pies, breakfast and lunch sandwiches and local beer & wine selection. 7 days 7am-5pm (Sun 'til 3pm)
- BOB'S SUB & CONE, 814 US-6, South Wellfleet, 508-349-6181
Trailside ice cream shop. 7 days 11am-10pm
- ICE CREAM CAFE, 5 S Orleans Rd, Orleans, 508-240-0003
Homemade ice cream (V, GF)
- KATIE'S HOMEMADE ICE CREAM, 568 Main St, Hyannis, 508-771-6889
"The Best Ice Cream on Cape Cod." 7 days 10:30am-11pm
- RELISH, 93 Commercial St, Provincetown, 508-487-8077
Bakery, sandwiches and GF chocolate chip cookies. 7 days 7:30am-6pm
- THE WICKED OYSTER, 50 Main St, Wellfleet, 508-349-3455
Wellfleet oysters, craft cocktails and also serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. Th-M 7:30am-2pm, 5-9pm
- PJ'S FAMILY RESTAURANT, 2616 US-6, Wellfleet, 508-349-2126
Family restaurant with GF rolls and seafood breadcrumbs. 7 days 11am-8:30pm
- PB BOULANGERIE BISTRO, 15 Lecount Hollow Rd, South Wellfleet, 508-349-1600
Authentic French bakery. 7 days 7am-7pm
- RED BARN PIZZA & MORE, 4180 State Hwy, Eastham, 508-255-4500
Pizza (GF). Su-Th 11am-8pm / F-Sa 11am-9pm
- HOLE IN ONE, 98 MA-6A, Orleans, 508-255-3740
Donuts, bagels, bakery, breakfast & lunch. 7 days 5am-3pm
- EL GUAPO'S, 239 Underpass Rd, Brewster, 508-896-3338
Fresh, simple tacos with a cause.
- EAT CAKE 4 BREAKFAST, 302 Underpass Rd, Brewster, 508-896-4444
Trailside bakery right next to a bike shop. Tu-Su 7am-2pm
- IDGY'S GLUTEN FREE RESTAURANT, 23 Whites Path, South Yarmouth, 508-694-7451
Entirely GF restaurant! M-F 8am-5pm / Sa-Su 8am-3pm
- NAKED OYSTER BISTRO & RAW BAR, 410 Main St, Hyannis, 508-778-6500
Oyster bar with barrel-aged spirits, local beer and seafood menu. 7 days, 12-3:30pm / 5-9:30pm